Voluntary Scientific Year
Voluntary Scientific Year (Freiwilliges Wissenschaftliches Jahr, FWJ) at the Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE) -- Diving into the world of excellent scientific research
How do diseases develop? What happens in our body when we are sick? When and in which people are which diseases emerging? And above all: how can we heal them?
You can‘t get those intriguing questions out of your head? Why not come to us at the Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf and help us finding the answers?! Join us for a Voluntary Scientific Year (Freiwilliges wissenschaftliches Jahr, FWJ) and explore medical research at its best:
- Learn how internationally networking teams unravel mechanisms of pathogenesis, identify disease risks in the population or develop new therapies.
- Discover the everyday life in science – between pipettes, patient surveys, and publications. For one year, be part of a motivated working group that pushes your curiosity even further and helps you to broaden your horizon.
- Meet like-minded people to exchange, network and laugh with in accompanying seminars.
- Try out research, help pushing the boundaries of knowledge – and challenge your own limits.
Perhaps the FWJ is just your kick-off in the fascinating world of science …
FWJ in a nutshell
What: working in a research group dealing with current medical issues
Who: scientifically interested people who finished compulsory education (age limit 26 years)
When: September – August (12 months)
Working hours: full time
Where: Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE), specific institute/clinic depends on vacancies
How: application sent to us and the team at the Freiwilligendienste Hamburg until 15 June 2022 (for contact see below)
The Voluntary Scientific Year (FWJ) is a nationwide acknowledged voluntary service in Germany. In Hamburg, it is coordinated and supervised by the Elsa Brändström Haus, which is part of the German Red Cross (DRK e.V.). During your FWJ at the UKE you will be granted the following benefits
- pocket money & daily subsistence allowance
- mentoring and guidance from skilled employees on-site
- educational supervision during the whole voluntary service
- social security contributions
- ticket for local public transport (Hamburger Verkehrsverbund, hvv) free of charge
- 26 leave days
- qualified certificate
- interesting seminars
For further information about these benefits have a look at the website of the Elsa Brändstöm Haus Freiwilligendienste Hamburg | Wir machen das! (freiwilligendienst-hamburg.de in German)
Is there anything else you‘d like to know? Or do you wish to apply for a FWJ right away? Don’t hesitate, just contact us:
For an application, please include a motivation letter, CV, and (preliminary) diploma – preferably as a single PDF document.