The Institute of Neuropathology
The Institute of Neuropathology is part of the Diagnostics Center and deals with the diagnosis of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system and the muscles. We also do research on the fundamental mechanisms of neurodegeneration and the pathogenesis of brain tumours.
Our Institute is accredited as an inspection center according to DIN EN ISO/IEC 17020.
Primary Fields of Interest
The Institute of Neuropathology uses the following study methods:
- Histological and cytological staining of cells
- Preparation of frozen and paraffin-embedded material (including gross sections)
- Histochemical and enzyme histochemical staining incl. special staining for muscle biopsies
- Immunohistochemical staining
- Electron microscopy
- Protein biochemistry and molecular biology methods (MGMT, 1p/19q deletion, BRAF mutation)
In the Institute of Neuropathology there are four main areas of research:
- Research on neurodegenerative diseases caused by pathological protein deposits in the brain (prion diseases, Alzheimer's disease, familial encephalopathy with neuroserpin inclusion bodies; group leader Prof. Dr. M. Glatzel - Publications)
- Neurooncology (genetic modifications and immunobiology of brain tumors, neurofibromatoses; group leader Prof. Dr. C. Hagel - Publications)
- Stem cell research (group leader PD Dr. C. Bernreuther - Publications)
- Forensic neuropathology (group leader Dr. J. Matschke - Publications)
Experimental topics for doctoral theses are assigned to interested medical students, which will required at least nine months to complete working fulltime and at least one year when done parallel to medical school (including semester vacations and one free study block).
Teaching and Continuing Education
The Institute of Neuropathology is involved in teaching in the first clinical section of the medical school curriculum in the "Head" block with POL teaching (two groups), in bedside instruction and elective courses as well as in the interdisciplinary lecture. In addition, it offers laboratory courses in molecular biological and histological methods. As part of the quality circle of the North German neuropathology Institutes, the Institute of Neuropathology organizes a section seminar with lectures twice a year and prepares joint expert opinions for interesting cases.