I study medicine at a university outside of Germany. How can I apply for a final-year clinical elective at UKE?

    • You are studying medicine at a medical faculty outside of Germany in your final year at the time of the elective
    • You have completed the prerequisite core clerkships in your home institution
    • Language requirements for all subjects except surgery: German B2 (CEFR)
    • Language requirements for surgery: English B2, German A2 (CEFR)

    • You can apply for a maximum of two subjects
    • Minimum length of stay per subject: 8 weeks
    • Maximum length of stay in total: 16 weeks
    • Elective in Tropical Medicine: First send a short CV to Dr. med. Stefan Schmiedel (sschmiedel@bni.uni-hamburg.de). After receiving a confirmation, you can submit your application documents to Svenja Anderson during the application period.

  • There are two application periods each year (May & December):

    • 1 to 15 May 2020: Electives from 16 November 2020 to 14 November 2021
    • 1 to 15 December 2020: Electives from 17 May 2021 to 15 May 2022
    • 1 to 15 May 2021: Electives from 15 November 2021 to 13 November 2022

    Application documents:

    • Application form (download available one month before the application period)
    • Dean's Letter/Letter of Support from your home institution that states
      • the student is currently enrolled and in good academic standing
      • the student is approved of completing the elective
      • the expected date of graduation
    • Curriculum vitae
    • Transcript of Records (in German or English)
    • Certification of your German language skills (unless native speaker)
    • Copy of your passport

    All documents must be submitted via email to Svenja Anderson .

  • Svenja Anderson
    • Course of study consultancy & coordination
    • International exchange

    Campus Lehre N55 , 4th Floor, Room number 04.01.1
  • Please note that we cannot provide you with a place to live. Helpful links for finding accommodation in Hamburg are listed on the website of Universität Hamburg .

  • Work permit: Students from countries that do not belong to the EU, the European Economic Area or Switzerland require a work permit in Germany for traineeships of more than 90 days. This also applies to unpaid traineeships and also if the students do not need a residence permit for Germany.

    Visa/residence permit: The diplomatic representation abroad or the immigration office decides whether a visa/residence permit and if a work permit is required.

    Please contact Svenja Anderson in case you need to submit an invitation letter and/or a work permit to the diplomatic representation.

I want to apply for a clerkship at UKE. I will not be in my final year of medical school. How can I apply?

Applicants from EU member states, states of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland apply directly to the respective clinic .

All other applicants apply through International Guests .