Internship / Clinical Elective
for medical students from non-EU countries


Applications will be received all year. There is no application deadline.
GB P only accepts applications in English or German language via email with attachments as PDF.


On request we will inform the applicant, which documents are required. Following documents should be ready in advance:

  • CV
  • Passport
  • Visa for Germany (if possible yet)
  • Certificate of Enrolment
  • German language certificate (if possible only)
  • Letter of motivation
  • Date and duration of stay
  • Favoured department here .
  • Other relevant papers (if interesting for the department you are applying for)

After receiving an application, it will be processed to the requested department. As soon as the department gives a feedback, the applicant will be informed by the GB P about the confirmation or the state of application.


The UKE charges an administration-fee for processing international applications, as soon as the department confirms the application. All procedures during the application are free of charge, except the one-time only administration fee. The help of a typing pool or intermediary is not necessary.

The administration-fee:

  • Is due with confirmation of the department
  • Is an one-time only and independent of duration of Internship / clinical elective
  • Is not refundable. The fee will not be refunded after refusal through the applicant after acceptance
  • The price for non-EU-observers is 476 EUR incl. 19% tax

The invitation letter will be send out after receiving the payment of the administration-fee.

We would like to point out that an invitation and the training do not justify an employment. The Intern does not receive any financial support of the UKE and has to organize the stay during the Internship / Clinical Elective himself. Please note that cost for accommodation, food, and travel tickets may be very high in Hamburg.

Residence permit and work permit

Students from non-EU countries need a “work permit” consent for a foreign worker (consent ZAV) in Germany. The UKE has to issue of the permit for employment with the Consent of the BA ZAV German Federal Employment Agency for internship for training purposes

This counts for all-non-European students, whether in non-payed internships or paid internships, as well as for non-EU students who do not need a residence permit.

The evaluating authority decides whether a residence permit is required, or not, without the ZAV. The intern has to present the invitation letter and the consent ZAV. The internship can only start if the permission / consent of the ZAV is listed in the visa.

The ZAV needs between six to eight weeks processing time before the permission gets granted. Therefore we ask to send in the application on time.

Duration of the Internship / Clinical Elective

Internships with regard to a specific subject of international students can last for 12 months. These 12 months do not have to be completed in once. They can be split and be divided throughout the study. The UKE has to submit a consent request for each Internship / Clinical Elective.

Exception EU-Programs

Internships supported by an EU-program, like LEONARDO, SOKRATES, TACIS, ERASMUS, do not need a consent with the employment agency (§ 15 Nr. 2 Employment regulation)