Guest Doctor-program „Hands on“
training without residency

Doctors / Physicians from all around the world may get the opportunity to work at the UKE (Hands on training to improve skills and knowledge). Due to the very close work with international clinics and universities, not just the UKE but also the International Guests benefit of a sustained exchange of cultural and specialized knowledge.

A „Hands on”- training is only possible, if certain intern as well as legal requirements are fulfilled.

  • Valid current attestation of the financial support throughout the complete residency
  • German knowledge B2/C1
  • License to practice medicine from the German authorities
  • Vacancy in the favoured department

Financing / Scholarship

The scholarship must be assured by a confirmation of coverage and must cover following factors:

  • One-time only administration-fee
  • Clinic-fee (yearly in advance)
  • Gross salary inclusive tax and social insurance (half-yearly in advance)

The scholarship provider can be, for example, the employer in the country of origin, the university, the ministry of health, the embassy, an union, a non-profit organization, an association or a different organization. Self-financing with private savings, a blocked account or through family members is not possible.

The gross salary

The gross salary includes:

  • The German wage tax
  • All dues for the statutory social insurance including health insurance, compulsory long term care insurance, unemployment insurance, and pension insurance. The health insurance usually includes insurance cover for unemployed spouse and underage children, who live in the same household.
  • The net-income for the guest doctor

The guest doctor has to pay the costs to live, rent etc. with this net income.

License to practice medicine and temporary permit to practice medicine

A valid German license to practice medicine or the temporary permit to practice medicine must be available at the entry, at the latest.

License to practice medicine

The Guest Doctor must pass the language examination for specific purposes “Fachsprachenprüfung” (Medicine German Language Level C1) in front of the responsible General Medical / Dental Council Hamburg.

Temporary permit to practice medicine (Berufserlaubnis)

A German certificate of the level B2 is enough for the first year of training with the temporary permit. Before beginning the second year of training, you must pass the language examination for specific purposes “Fachsprachenprüfung” (Medicine German Language Level C1) in front of the responsible General Medical / Dental Council Hamburg.

Responsible authority in Hamburg:
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
Behörde für Gesundheit und Verbraucherschutz
Landesprüfungsamt für Heilberufe (LPA)
Billstraße 80, D-20539 Hamburg


Applications will be received all year. There is no application deadline.
GB P only accepts applications in English or German language via email with attachments as PDF.


On request we will inform you which documents are required. Following documents should be ready in advance:

  • CV
  • Passport
  • Visa for Germany (if possible yet)
  • German language certificate (if possible only)
  • Letter of motivation
  • Date and duration of stay
  • Favoured department here .
  • Diploma / Bachelor / Master / Medical License or Temporary permit to practice medicine
  • Proof of finance or proof of scholarship
  • Other relevant papers (if interesting for the department you are applying for)