Patient-centered care: evaluation and implementation
- Supervision of theses
The research group “patient-centered care: evaluation and implementation” (heads: Dr. Pola Hahlweg, Dr. Jördis Zill) is part of the professorship for psycho-oncology and patient-centered medicine held by Prof. Dr. Isabelle Scholl. The research group addresses research questions related to the development, evaluation and implementation of interventions and measures that aim to foster patient-centered care (or person-centered care) in healthcare.
Our main research interest is in different aspects of patient-centered care, e.g. shared decision-making, communication between health professionals and patients, and interprofessional collaboration.
Our methodological focus includes qualitative and mixed-methods research, psychometric analyses and reviews. Our studies take place in different clinical areas in collaboration with a variety of partners (e.g. oncology, women's health, cardiology, orthopedics, primary care, psychiatry). The majority of our studies can be categorized under the overarching areas of health services research and implementation research.
- Mirja Baumgart
- Marina Buzo
- Daisy Ciloeva
- Viktoria Müller
- Felicitas Schwenzer
- Patient-centered cancer care through the provision of audio recordings of their clinical encounters for patients – a feasibility study , study duration: 1.12.2021-30.11.2022, funded by Robert Bosch Foundation
- Decision-making processes on medical assistance in dying: development of a framework from different perspectives, study duration: 1.2.2022-30.1.2023, funded by the “Forschungsförderungsfonds der Medizinischen Fakultät” (FFM)
- Promoting Patient Participation in Care: Transferring knowledge on patient-centered research, education, and clinical practice. Study duration: 01.10.2020-30.09.2023, Funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
- Train the Trainer - Training concept to promote nurse-patient-communication skills. Study duration: 01.07.2021-30.06.2024, Funded by DAK-Gesundheit.
- Assessment of Patient-Centeredness through Patient-Reported Experience Measures. Study duration: 01.10.2017-31.09.2022, Funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
- Evaluation of a Programme for Routine Implementation of Shared Decision-Making in Cancer Care: A Stepped Wedge Cluster Randomized Trial. Study duration: 01.10.2017 – 31.12.2020, Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Evaluation of Option Grids to foster shared decision-making in the treatment of breast cancer. Study duration: 01.01.2015 – 31.12.2015, Funded by the „Forschungsförderungsfonds der Medizinischen Fakultät“ (FFM).
- Development of a program for routine implementation of shared decision-making in oncology (PREPARED), Study duration: 01.09.2013 – 31.10.2014, Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Zill, J.M., Lindig, A., Reck, L.M., et al. (2022). Assessment of person-centeredness in healthcare and social support services for women with unintended pregnancy (CarePreg): protocol for a mixed-method study. BMJ Open;12:e066939.
- Scholl I*, Hahlweg P*, Lindig A, Frerichs W, Zill J, Cords H, Bokemeyer C, Coym A, Schmalfeldt B, Smeets R, Vollkommer T, Witzel I, Kriston L, Härter M. Evaluation of a program for routine implementation of shared decision-making in cancer care: results of a stepped wedge cluster randomized trial. Implementation Science. 2021;16(1):106.
- Hahlweg P, Kriston L, Scholl I, Brähler E, Faller H, Schulz H, Weis J, Koch U, Wegscheider K, Mehnert A, Härter M. Cancer patients’ preferred and perceived level of involvement in treatment decision-making: an epidemiological study. Acta Oncologica. 2020: 59(8):967-974.
- Lindig A, Hahlweg P, Frerichs F, Topf C, Reemts M, Scholl I. Adaptation and qualitative evaluation of Ask 3 Questions - a simple and generic intervention to foster patient empowerment. Health Expectations. 2020;23(5):1310-1325.
- Scholl I, Kobrin S, Elwyn G. "All about the money?" A qualitative interview study examining organizational- and system-level characteristics that promote or hinder shared decision-making in cancer care in the United States. Implementation Science. 2020; 15(1):81
- Zeh S, Christalle E, Hahlweg P, Härter M, Scholl I. Assessing the relevance and implementation of patient-centeredness from the patients’ perspective in Germany: Results of a Delphi study. BMJ Open 2019;9:e031741.
- Scholl I, Hahlweg P, Lindig A, Bokemeyer C, Coym A, Hanken H, Müller V, Smeets R, Witzel I, Kriston L, Härter M. Evaluation of a program for routine implementation of shared decision-making in cancer care: study protocol of a stepped wedge cluster randomized trial. Implementation Science. 2018;13(1):51.
- Scholl I, LaRussa A, Hahlweg P, Kobrin S, Elwyn G. Organizational- and system-level characteristics that influence the implementation of SDM and strategies to address them – a scoping review. Implementation Science. 2018;13:40.
- Christalle E, Zeh S, Hahlweg P, Kriston L, Härter M, Scholl I. Assessment of patient centredness through patient-reported experience measures (ASPIRED): protocol of a mixed-methods study. BMJ Open. 2018;8(10):e025896.
- Hahlweg P, Didi S, Kriston L, Härter M, Nestoriuc Y, Scholl I. Process quality of decision-making in multidisciplinary cancer team meetings: A structured observational stud y. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:772.
- Müller E, Hahlweg P, Scholl I. What do different stakeholders need to implement shared decision making in routine cancer care? A qualitative needs assessment. Acta Oncologica. 2016;Sep 8:1-8.
- Hahlweg P, Hoffmann J, Härter M, Frosch D, Elwyn G, Scholl I. In absentia: An exploratory study of how patients are considered in multidisciplinary cancer team meetings. PLOS ONE. 2015;10(10):e0139921.
- Scholl I, Zill JM, Härter M, Dirmaier J. An integrative model of patient-centeredness – A systematic review and concept analysis. PLOS ONE. 2014;9(9):e107828.
- Kriston L, Scholl I, Hölzel L, Simon D, Loh A, Härter M. The 9-item Shared Decision Making Questionnaire (SDM-Q-9). Development and psychometric properties in a primary care sample. Patient Education and Counseling. 2010;80(1):94-99.
For a complete list of publications, please click HERE
Supervision of theses
- Theen, L. Stigmatisierungserfahrungen in der psychosozialen und medizinischen Versorgung bei unbeabsichtigter Schwangerschaft und Schwangerschaftsabbruch. Masterarbeit, Studiengang Psychologie, Universität Bremen.
- Baumgart, M. Einflussfaktoren auf die Einstellungen von Medizinstudierenden gegenüber Schwangerschaftsabbrüchen. Masterarbeit, Studiengang Psychologie, Fernuniversität Hagen.
- Stühlmeyer S. Knowledge, attitudes and experiences of dentistry students with shared decision-making. Dr. med. dent., Faculty of Medicine, University of Hamburg, ongoing.
- Mannagottera L. Effects of a shared decision-making implementation program on patient-centered communication - Secondary analysis of physician-patient conversations in oncology. Dr. med., Faculty of Medicine, University of Hamburg, ongoing.
- Tenbrüggen P. How do cancer patients experience their care during the Covid-19 pandemic? Predictors of changing perceptions of patient-centeredness. Master thesis, Psychology, Faculty of Behavioural and Cultural Studies, University of Heidelberg, ongoing.
- Christalle E. Development and psychometric testing of a patient-reported experience measures (PREMs) core set to assess patient-centeredness (PC). Non-medical PhD Programme, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf; ongoing.
- Zeh S. Assessment of patient-centeredness from the patients’ perspective: a mixed-methods study. Non-medical PhD Programme, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf; 2022.
- Lindig A. Evaluation of a multi-component shared decision-making implementation program in cancer care. Non-medical PhD Programme, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf; 2022.
- Henning Z. What do psychology, medical and law students think about assisted suicide? – a quantitative cross-sectional survey on knowledge, attitudes & experiences. Bachelor thesis in Psychology, Hochschule Fresenius, 2022.
- Ferati M. Psychotherapeutic and Neuropsychological Care of People with Multiple Sclerosis in Germany. Master thesis in Psychology, University Münster, 2021.
- Heger S. All good things come in threes? Evaluation of the „Ask 3 Questions“ intervention. Master thesis, Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Faculty of Human Sciences, MSH Medical School Hamburg, 2021.
- Topf C. Mechanisms of change in a dog-assisted psycho-oncological group intervention: an explorative analysis using qualitative interviews. Master thesis, Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Faculty of Human Sciences, MSH Medical School Hamburg, 2021.
- Kukemüller J. Does participation take longer? A secondary analysis of consultation length and shared decision-making in oncology. Bachelor thesis, Faculty of Human Sciences, MSH Medical School Hamburg; 2020.
- Führes HS. Conceptualization of family-centered care –a scoping review. Bachelor thesis, Faculty of Human Sciences, MSH Medical School Hamburg; 2020.
- Cords H. Content validity of the 9-item Shared Decision-Making Questionnaire (SDM-Q-9) – A cognitive interview study with cancer patients. Master thesis, Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Department of Psychology, University Kassel; 2020.
- Hahlweg P. Development and evaluation of a program for routine implementation of shared decision-making in oncology. PhD thesis, Department of Psychology, University of Hamburg; 2019.
- Müller E. Facilitating the implementation of shared decision making in routine care through clinician-mediated interventions. PhD thesis, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf; 2019.
- Topf C. What does the general public in Germany think about audio recordings of medical encounters? – A first qualitative exploration. Bachelor thesis, Psychology, Faculty of Human Sciences, MSH Medical School Hamburg; 2019.
- Kölker M. Psychometric testing of the German version of OPTION5 Item. Dr. med., Faculty of Medicine, University of Hamburg; 2018.
- Romero I. Shared decision-making in chronic care. An assessment of status quo in primary and secondary care in Hamburg. Dr. med., Faculty of Medicine, University of Hamburg; 2016.
- Doherr H. Use of the 9-item Shared Decision Making Questionnaire (SDM-Q-9 and SDM-Q-Doc) in intervention studies – A systematic review. Master thesis, Department of Psychology, University of Hamburg; 2016.
- Topp J. Shared decision-making in physical therapy: Physiotherapists’ knowledge, attitudes and self-reported use. Master thesis, Health Sciences, HAW Hamburg; 2016.
- Cömert M. Assessing communication skills of medical students in Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE) - A systematic review of measures. Master thesis, Department of Psychology, University of Hamburg; 2015.
- Didi S. Assessment of the quality of decision-making in multidisciplinary team meetings: A structured observational study. Master thesis, Department of Psychology, University of Hamburg; 2015.
- Frerichs W. Shared decision-making in oncology: A qualitative analysis of different stakeholders views on current practice. Master thesis, Health Sciences, HAW Hamburg; 2015.
- Müller E. Assessment of trust in the physician: A systematic review of measures. Master thesis, Department of Psychology, University of Hamburg; 2013.